Thursday 26 February 2009

Grub





People often ask me what I eat in Korea. Answer: sandwiches. 75% of all meals consumed in this dude's life have been sandos. Sad? Not if I love sandos it isn't.
That being said, Korean food is pretty damn good. Unfortunately, it seems like fewer younger Koreans are eating real Korean food these days. Pizza and fried chicken are pretty popular here, as is most other crappy western junk (not as bad here, compared to Seoul). I think the next generation of Koreans will be a lot more corpulently Buddha-like than the current one. That what happens when you literally consume America.
Real Korean food seems to be based on a simple peasant diet of root vegetables, and endless varieties of kimchi (Don't I sound like a travel documentary?). Kimchi is similar to sauerkraut, but a lot hotter. It will unfortunately make your posterior resemble a Japanese flag if you eat a lot of it and your body isn't used to it. Gruesome.
There are tons of sidedishes that come with a Korean meal - some good, some catfood. As I live in a harbor town, I've been dragged to a few seafood restaurants. Seafood isn't really my bag. I can't handle the texture. The little crabs you eat whole are good though, and eating live octopus was neat(haven't done it lately). My favorite these days is kimchi jiggae, the last pic. A super spicy soup that wakes me up and upgrades my well-being, then downgrades my bitchiness, and finally whispers things in my ear that make me smile. I must be slowly turning into a Korean, what with all the taking of pictures of meals.
No, I haven't eaten dog yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment