Tuesday 23 November 2010

The White River Bluegrass Band - live on Hungarian TV - 1979

AKA 'White Liver Brewglass Band'.  That's my father on banjo, and my uncle on mandolin.  I'll never be as good as any of them - they all could play those damn instruments like they done sold their souls!  I have memories of traveling around the country in a van with the band in summer as a tot, while the pa played festivals.  I'd roll with other hillbilly kids catching crawdads and eels in the crick.  I had plaid shirts, and cowboy boots, I think.  I would let out loud rebel yells when TWRBB played.  Yeeeeehaw!  

Check out:
2:27 -Worried Man Blues
5:29 - creative 'tuning'
11:37 - slapdown!
12:13 - It'll always be Springtime in Heaven

Plinka-plunk!

5 comments:

  1. WOW! Hoping to see knews on that missile strike but... Banjo! I got that vinyl. I even got the 7inch of chasing the dragon somewhere. BUT.. I never knew there were clips!!! This is awesome.
    Thanks Palmer!
    Rota

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rota! Yeah they could play their stuff! Hey, D+L from T Bay were looking for you - did they get in touch?
    Palmer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohh! Did I see your dad on banjo? I get it. Things just keep getting interestinger and interestinger.

    ReplyDelete
  4. finally watched this in its entirety. Wah-wah-wee-wah! Holler!

    Shoot, those tuning peg pitch-bends your dad does on the banjo are hella tight.

    ReplyDelete