Tuesday 31 May 2011

Hier soir un Fairy Pitta a sauvé mon âme avec sa chanson



Yes, a bird has saved my soul.  Not just any bird.  The bird.
My glass has been half-empty lately, in spite of someone's recent good advice to 'get a smaller glass'.  I've been twisting things around and looking at them from behind.
  Today started roughly.  Still shittily sore everywhere from the weekend volleyball marathon, I was woken at 8 a.m. on the nose by the lovely sound of chainsaws outside my window.  I was horrified to see the massive 5-story tree that stands sentinel outside my apartment being fucking chopped to pieces by little Korean assholes.  I mean, this massive tree was probably well over 150 years old.  It was always packed with a wide array of birds, which would wake me sometimes with their dawn chorus.  A better sound to rise to than fucking chainsaws.  A good number of birds nested in it too.  Well, I guess someone wanted some fucking wood, so now all I see out that window is more apartments.  Then, the memory card on my small camera died.  Great start.  Let the downward slide continue, to the dark side of twisted around. I was that close to whipping out my full-auto BB rifle and shooting their eyes out.
  Not wanting to stick around and watch the arbocide, I jumped on Whitey and headed to a nearby spot where I've been scoping for birds lately.  The bird.  The Fairy Pitta.  I've been trying to see this thing for over two years, unsuccessfully.  Extremely rare and secretive, the Fairy Pitta spends the summer months breeding in Jeju's quiet and rocky valleys.  It became my white whale.  I was always one step behind it, and I've heard it on multiple occasions, even found feathers, but never spotted it.
  So I got to my little valley, and walked up the dry riverbed for about 30 minutes.  Nothing.  Then, on my way back down to Whitey, I heard it.  I ended up tracking it unseen through the treetops (I wasn't in the treetops, it was) for well over an hour before I finally cut it off with some Seal Team 6 stealth and initiative.  It hopped down and posed for me for a few minutes, and now life is a sliver less pointless.

5 comments:

  1. Nice Pitta! Well Done Sir!

    A real bute. Love the cool-looking Herons too.

    Ryan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Time to come home to brush up your French:
    SA chanson, SA chanson !!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Ryan, it took me two years to get it, and a few hours of stalking yesterday, but it was very worth it!

    SA chanson, vous avez raison! :o

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dang man, that post was the best thing ever. Gee whiz! epic and stuff! It sort sort of looks like a tail-less shrike dipped in candy and rainbows. Does it impale small woodland creatures on thorns? Yay.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It eats worms! I've been waiting so damn long to find it, I've looked all over the island, and found it in my backyard. Best bird ever.

    ReplyDelete