Thursday 19 May 2011

Del Shannon - Little Town Flirt

Cheer up
Del Shannon was the man.  Ages ago, I got mixed up with a side-band that played oldies, and the plan was to wear matching suits, slather in the Brylcreem (I don't want no Fop, godammit!), and perform synchronized guitar dips.  We called ourselves 'Johnny Runpants', and we never actually played any shows.  We played a few Del Shannon songs.
  I've been involved with quite a few hypothetical bands that never ended playing any shows.  Notable was the band that was to play songs only about killing people in trench warfare I formed with a melodion-playing dude from Arkansas, and the band of completely incompatible non-musicians (myself included) that assembled in Taiwan to play rock classics sung in poorly-translated Chinese.  Not one of us could play our instruments, it was truly terrible.
  This pic is of a later Del (sweet Firebird!), about a decade before he killed himself.  He kinda looks like a guy I kinda know on the island.  I dig the low production values of the video, as well as the jaunty seaside a-go-go party setting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiZ__BAWRk4

No comments:

Post a Comment