Monday 16 May 2011

It's birds!

Broad-billed Roller

Black Drongo

Yellow-breasted Bunting

Brown Shrike
Picked up four lifers on Saturday, good times.  On Mara-do I spotted a Yellow-breasted Bunting and some other good migrants.  On the ferry ride back, two ultra-rare Japanese Murrelets bobbed past at a distance of 20 feet, in bright sunlight.  Of course, my camera was safely and hopelessly jammed into my jacket to protect it from the bow spray.  I didn't get it out in time to get a picture, and it's gotta be my worst photographic fail ever.  I also picked up a Black Drongo on the back-roads of Mureung, guided to it by spider-sense alone.  This coming weekend is shaping up to be birdy as well, as I'll be guiding visiting bird folks around all weekend.  I like turtles.
  Sunday's plans to go birding on a small, untouristed island were scrapped after a bud and I went to four different port-towns without being able to find a fishing boat that was willing to take us there.

4 comments:

  1. Awesome pics! The spring migrants have mostly moved on here due the extreme heat (lke 40 C this week) Balls!

    Ryan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sick! How long's it gonna be that hot?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's still climbing. Locals have been saying she peaks around 50 C in the summer. But we've got 6 weeks off and will be back in Canada for most of the summer. Then back here for another year. The thrills are few but the money is good. Hope Jeju is treating you well. Man, I miss that place.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Damn, that's some heat, yuck. Jeju is definitely the kind of place to miss.

    ReplyDelete