Monday 10 May 2010

Not Sharp






Weather's picking up. Hot-ish. But Jeju is the kinda place where you could very well crave aircon and heating on the same day. Snorkeling soon. Been playing b-ball in the mornings again, gets my back sweaty and my hands dirty. Neighborhood seems to be sprucing up for tourism - a dive shop and a gimmicky cafe have opened up on my block in the past week. Also, the mysterious little hovel that sits below my window (where I once saw documents being burned at 3 am) seems to be taking in foreign backpackers these days. I found this out the embarrassing way, when I put on some terrible music and proceeded to sing along in the worst falsetto imaginable, with the window open. During an inter-song lull, I distinctly heard a European valley girl whine 'Ohmigod, zis awful!', or something to that effect. I then belted out a few more, even louder and awful-er than the first. This is MY town.
I'm reminded of the time, for some reason, when I had a job interview in the real world, a couple of years ago. This was in between Asia stints, and if I remember correctly, I was far from sheveled, and jetlagged and/or hungover. The slick interview guy was throwing me all kinds of hard and curveballs, and I wasn't exactly hitting them out of the park. He stood up at one point and stepped out of the room, so of course I leaned far over the table to see what he had scribbled on my CV. 'Not sharp', he had written, and underlined thrice. He came back in and gave me the job. Haha, I got the effin' job anyways!
Spent a starcrossed weekend showing a friend from out of town my island. My Christmas tree produces a soothing light.

No comments:

Post a Comment