Wednesday 5 May 2010

Icy Spicy Soup



I like soup. Sometimes I concoct my own ambitious yet dubious soups, but lately, not so much. Here are two soups I've consumed of late, at the urging of my Korean birding friend, who once again, assured me that they were 'famous'. The first is 'Mil Naengmyan', a spicy pork and noodle soup filled with icy water. It's bloody awesome.
The second...is not quite my cuppatea. It's 'Mool Hwae', another icy-spicy soup, this one with raw, bony fish as the centre of attention. Not quite as squirm-inducing as sea-snail soup, but I sure did a lot of 'eating everything else but the raw, bony fish'. The sesame seeds were good.
Lately, I've been wetting myself over my old standby, Kimchi Jiggae, at least twice a week. It's a spicy pork and tofu dealy, that I couldn't get near my mouth a few years ago. I'll say it again, I've been here way too damn long. I talk in grunts now, like them.

2 comments:

  1. If the second soup hadn't been filled with nasty raw-bony fish, it would have been a solid and complex soup.

    ReplyDelete