Sunday 29 March 2009

Bringing the scoot home the long way





Woke up early and bussed it up to JC to bring home my scoot. The tank was bone dry when I picked up, thanks a lot scooter store. The gas station guy seemed concerned that it took me 2 minutes to find the gas hole. I drove from Jeju City to Seogwipo along the eastern coastal road. It took about 5 hours, but that includes stopping frequently to run after birds. Got 2 lifers on this trip, high five. The best stuff was at Hado and Seogsan, big bird hotspots on the east coast. At Hado, I dumped the bike like an idiot. I was pulling up to this bird blind thing onto what looked at a glance to be hard dirt. It was not hard dirt, it was deep mooshy sand. The front wheel went one way, the bike went the other, and suddenly I was doing slow-motion stuntman rolls in the sand and bushes. Thankfully no one saw me do it. I was going slow - a few scratches to the bike, and the left mirror will never be the same, but overall it could have been worse.
Drove past a surreal old fishing town with a wind farm on the outskirts. Eery. My knees were frozen by the end, and it started to rain for the last hour, but all in all, it felt awesome to cruise for the whole day. Heavy metal thunder. Look at me, a 5 hour trip and I think I'm Ted Simon.

No comments:

Post a Comment