Saturday 14 March 2009


Found out last night that a young Canadian guy on Jeju just died. I met him briefly at frisbee about a month ago. He had a perma-smile, and was super helpful, taking the time to show me a tricky frisbee throw, and was understanding when I kept mixing his name up. We only had a couple of short conversations, but he managed to tell me about his 2 kids and wife, and I could tell he was so proud of them and geninely happy. He got encephelitis all of a sudden, and died on Friday. I was pretty messed up about this last night, and I still am. I can't think of anything to say about it, and my mind is racing. Life is short. Said often but it's true. Quit your jobs, and go do whatever you want to do. Today. Be happy, and carpe diem. Nice meeting you Nathan. There, I got your name right this time.

5 comments:

  1. I never met the guy, but its a tragedy when anyone suddenly leaves us like that. I donated all the cash I had on me last night, I just hope his work place will help his family through this. May he rest in peace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I keep crying every time I see him, a foot away from me, talking to me. He's right there. I needed 3 breaks during the game, but he didn't take one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to hear of your friends passing and so young.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Still don't even know how to think about it. Just hope his family is getting all the help they'll need.

    ReplyDelete
  5. joanpoll@hotmail.com27 March 2009 at 16:34

    I'm really sorry to hear of your friend's death,Matt.He looked like a really nice person and a great dad.You have been enriched by having known him,however briefly.Whenever you smile,think of him and pass that smile to someone else.Take care-mom

    ReplyDelete