Monday 23 March 2009

The Screaming truck

I first heard a truck like this on my first morning in Korea, all those dizzying years ago. I had been drifting in and out of a jet-lag opiated sleep, too nervous and excited to really sleep, it having been my first night in exotic Asia and all. Then I heard this sound, and it scared the hell out of me. I ran to window, and saw a truck like this doing circles in the parking lot, its tinny megaphone voice repeating a phrase over and over. I only knew 2 words in Korean, but this is what I could make out: "The red hordes of North Korean shock troops are 3 km away, we are surrounded on 3 sides, swallow your jewelry and bury your kimchi, mass panic, the A bombs are coming.'' It turns out it's a truck selling produce. That bastard used to drive through my parking lot at 6am almost every morning, especially Saturday. Thankfully, I don't have a parking lot on Jeju.

1 comment:

  1. First time I heard that truck I got freaked out too...I had no idea where it was coming from, but then saw what was going on. Since I've moved I haven't heard them...

    ReplyDelete