Friday 15 April 2011

Staying classy, one day at a time


I've seen this charming scene regularly at my favorite park.  Koreans have a big drunken picnic, then leave a lovely pile of garbage and smashed soju bottles behind for the barefoot kids to play in the next day.  Koreans fanatically love their country, and claim it's the best country in the world, so why most Koreans consistently treat Korea like their own personal shit-heap eludes me.  Do they secretly think  Korea is garbage?  A real head-scratcher.  I'm forced to say it yet again - you stay classy, Korea!

2 comments:

  1. I know it is despicable, but let's not forget that they were wasted and it was late. I've been in that predicament, just taking off home half-blind (though I did go back the next day to clean up the area.)

    So what I'm saying is that it's not fair to judge Koreans -- as a people -- for their actions while completely drunk. If it's lunchtime and they're a bunch of tittering ajjeomas taking off without cleaning up, then yes, judge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Making lame excuses for shitty behavior - are you a Korean yourself? :o
    Having lived in Korea for way too many years, I would say I'm pretty qualified to state that Koreans --as a people-- throw garbage anywhere and everywhere, regardless of age. I see it every single day. More fuel for my theory that, for their entire lives, most Koreans act like petulant 15 year-olds.
    Why is there garbage everywhere in Korea? Why is there none in Japan? I have no clue, I just noticed that when I was in Japan, I didn't see a cigarette butt, piece of gum, or scrap of garbage, anywhere. Just 'throwing it out' there.
    PS they didn't go back the next day to clean up their garbageddon.

    ReplyDelete