Sunday 8 February 2009

Jeju City





I went to Jeju City on Saturday, to play ultimate frisbee. Being awkward both physically and socially, I often passed to the wrong team, and didn't talk much. Today my whole body feels like ouchy rust. I'm badly out of shape.
Afterwards, I wandered around Jeju City for a few hours. Jeju City is just like any other city in Korea. There's a Paris Baguette, Dunkin' Donuts, Face Shop, and SK store on every block. It all looks the same. Bigger Korean cites are loud, busy, and fast. Most of the time I'm glad that I live somewhere quiet, boring, and slow. I got a kick out of watching the iconic Ajumma divers in action. They're old ladies who free-dive for seafood. Zoned out for a long time in the harbor. Outside a restaurant in a tank, swam a fish that looked far too neat to eat.
I've been listening to a lot of Bedouin Soudclash. I know they're only supposed to be for teenage girls, but I'll be damned if they don't make great walking to work music.
Yesterday 'Bittersweet Symphony' shuffled in and I started knocking over Koreans on the sidewalk. It felt great.
In other news, I've developed an alarming crush on CNN anchorwoman Kristie Lu Stout. It's not a weird obsession or anything, I just enjoy her dorky smile in the morning. I am thinking of sending her a shoebox filled with mummified squirrels for Valentine's Day. I think she'd like that, and she'd know we're meant to be together.

4 comments:

  1. Yeah, she seems like the kind of broad that's into squirrel corpses. I bet she's got a whole room full of em. I think you got a chance...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I properly mummified these guys too, brain liquification, sun ceremony, moon dance - the usual. I even fashioned a crude ankh out of a coat hanger, and aimed it at Cheesehenge, whereupon I was knocked out of my shoes by a powerful bolt of 1980's energy. Play safe!
    I love Kristie's shiny shiny hair, I want to wrap myself in it, like a kitten in a sweater.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow-- what was the ankh reference? I have a fuzzy memory of that same bolt of 80's energy coming out of stonehenge. Was it a commercial?

    ReplyDelete
  4. There was a commercial for some Time Life book series about mysteries of the unknown, and we used to love the part where this kid fashioned a crude ankh from a coat hanger and aimed it at Stonehenge, and a mysterious bolt of energy knocked his ass down.

    ReplyDelete