Friday 9 December 2011

Oot and aboot in Brooklyn

Oot

Sweet

Yuppie play area

Yuppies

Some other band

Luff lady, not at all impressed by yours truly


Quiet Loudly
  Another lifetime ago, a month, the gang went down to Brooklyn to hang out with Humdinger, after getting tipsy at an Irish pub near ground zero.  I fell in love with a beer called Narragansett.  Love!  We checked out this CD launch in a basement club - CD!?.  The band doing the launching was called Luff, and they were ok, but kinda sounded like a rehash of the droning 90's girlband thing.
  The band that opened for them, Quiet Loudly, was fucking awesome.  A dizzy mess of Wurlitzer heroics and falsetto.  Dance and I looked at each other after their set was done and we both felt like we'd seen one of 'those' shows, like seeing The Beatles at the Cavern Club or something.  They were dynamic and clever, and you'll hear about them in 2012.  I got a terrible video of them.
  The third band was also a droning, walls of distortion-type band, and I was too drunk to care about them at that point.  Sweet sweet Narragansett.  Oh, the bar upstairs had a bacci-ball play area for yuppies.  Do people still say 'yuppie'?  We ended up bar-hopping after the show, and I remember trying to talk to the hot and tattooed guitarist lady from Luff at some other bar.  After I sauntered over and spoke my piece, she glared at me as crickets chirped and tumbleweeds drifted by.  I held up my finger as if I had remembered something, or was about to shout 'Eureka!', then turned around and walked away.  Later, some kid tripped me on purpose, and I questioned him about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment