Thursday 12 November 2009

What, no Sherpas?


Koreans have an endearing/infuriating habit of over-gearing for hobbies. You need to look like you know what you're doing, well before you know what you're doing. If you're gonna do something, don't do it without masses of crap you don't need. One of the most common manifestations of this quirk is the Korean mountain hiker. I spotted this fellow on a small hill in Seogwipo. It took me exactly 10 minutes to walk up the gentle slope (in flip flops), and here's adventure man, ready to summit K2 with his element hood and extra water. I swear I once saw a guy with an ice axe carabinered to his bag. In summer.

2 comments:

  1. completely agree. was golfing with my buddy the other day, and i almost took one in the ribs by this ajosshi jerk (yea, yea double negative) with top of the line gear hitting the most expensive golf balls on the market. needless to say, i pocketed te flying weapon and proceeded to fire back one of my shitty range balls. poor guy never knew what almost hit him. ha!

    ReplyDelete