Tuesday 5 October 2010

The creepiest hotel in Phnom Penh











Ever get the feeling you're in a really bad movie? The guys that ran this classy joint were right out of Central Casting - 'shifty back-alley Cambodian hotel guys/drug runners'. The one fella followed me into my room and fiddled with the aircon for an inordinate amount of time, while trying to sneak looks at my meager belongings. I believe he was also giving me secret hand and eye signals for all manner of fucked up substances/services, but I wasn't hip to his game.
That happened a lot on this trip. A guy on a bike would drive by, and when he saw Cobain and I quaffing bevvies, he'd slow down, ring a little bell on a stick, and place three extended fingers across his upper arm while looking at us brightly. The fuck? He kept doing it, so we kept making random hand gestures back at him - I think I even threw a 'Crips' at him. Or some femmy-looking rent-boy would shoot a bizarre eyebrow ruffle at me on the beach. I got that one. I flashed him back the "Thanks pal, but my anus is a strictly 'exit only' orifice" eyebrow gesture, and I believe he understood.
Back to this hotel. Boy, they were creepy there. They'd ask us if we wanted 'cocaween' and stuff in a whisper, even though no one was around. 'No thanks.' We ended up hiding out and watching 'Napoleon Dynamite' in the rooftop bar. The screen was covered in geckos, and the subtitles, which were in English, were messed up. "Napoleon's Explosive" was the name of the title character. Man o man, I thought I would lose my life in the narrow halls of this hotel, to the quick blade of a cocaween-dealing sneaky little cut-throat. I didn't.
What else about this little place? Oh, they could whip up a mean 2$ breakfast. Here's my rant: Why is it that little shacks on a remote Cambodian beach without plumbing boast an 18-page menu featuring well-cooked food from 10 different countries, while Korea can cook Korean food and KFC? Really Korea? Are you that scared of foreign food? Is Korean food that good? Why is the only western food you can offer mediocre and shitty? Geez, get bitter much? Ok I'll stop. I'll most likely read this tomorrow and wonder WTF I was on about. G'nite.

3 comments:

  1. good rant! rant, rant, rant, i like rant. rantle on!!!!!!!!!!!
    fucking foreigners telling me that this and that is good can suck my shit as well. i can only get so much mileage out of subway.
    rantle on!!!!!!!!!!
    now i need to get the fuck out for a vaca. ahhhh!!!!, sticky rice is gross. i'd rather eat gum!
    rantle on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    how can you ask me if i just had bap? what's wrong with you? yes, i just had a meal you clone! but not bap! a meal! and i don't want to eat with you!
    rantle on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Leaves are falling all around, It's time I was on my way.
    rantle on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    And now's the time, the time is now, to sing my song!
    rantle on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    go home and eat your fucking bap with your parents!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    rantle on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DW5ZLyY9w0Y

    ReplyDelete
  2. I AM RUSSELL CROWE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Zeppers!
    Hey, yr ranting is at an advanced stage - time to start a rantblog. Do it, it feels good gettin it out. Let it all out, big boy!
    Rantle on!
    How'd you feel about me coming up in Oct or Nov for an epic killwhitey/360 session, with Timmy and Junes?

    ReplyDelete