Wednesday 13 October 2010

Sihanoukville = poop











Sihanoukville is a gritty beach town in the southwest of Cambodia. Lots of 60 year old European dudes walking around with 18 year old Cambodian girls. I wasn't a huge fan of the place. Living on Jeju, a land thick with beaches, I've become spoiled. It boils down to relaxation. If I'm on a beach, I want to chillax. Drink a beverage perhaps, read a book. What I don't want is be pestered (literally) every 40 seconds by punk-ass Cambodian kids trying to sell me bracelets. Now now, don't call me a bully or an asshole. I've no problem with people trying to make a living, but when you tell someone 'No thank you' politely 5 times, only to have them keep asking, whining, throwing pebbles, and insulting you - not cool. Touristas that were too 'nice' to tell the kids 'no' or ignore them were swarmed by packs of 10-20 kids for THE WHOLE DAMN DAY. None too relaxing. It got to the point where Cobain and I left the admittedly gorgeous beach and chilled up the hill in a restaurant/bar near our hotel. Our view was a dumpy road, but at least no one fucked with us there. The Cambodian touters need to take tips from their less pushy counterparts elsewhere in Southeast Asia, or no one is gonna come spend money at their little beach. Hey everyone (sorry Cambodian tourism) - go to Thailand or The Philippines if you want to chill on a nice beach. Or even Jeju. Forget about Sihanoukeville.

No comments:

Post a Comment