Wednesday 27 October 2010

On the Cambodian road











This oughta be the last of the CamNam posts. 'Road' is a bit too generous a term for some of what we drove on in Cambodia. Long, juddering, boozy bus rides filled with wailing toddlers and grim roadside toilets. Coke bottles filled with gas for sale. Hawkers trying to get into our bus by any means possible. Dusty and sneaky tuk-tuk rides. Gorgeous, sweaty weather.

My trip back to Jeju was a long and sleepless one. I read the whole Artie Lange autobiography on the first leg (thanks Cobain) - y'oughta read it, it's a gas. The flight from Saigon to Seoul was THE worst flight I've ever been on. There were, no joke, 9 babies on the flight. Nine! And, of course, they were strategically placed all around me, the better to piss me off and make me miserable. The constant gurgling banshee wails made me doubt if I'd survive the flight without committing infanticide.
The babies were 'cared for' by a motley group of what looked like shaky 19 year-old Vietnamese girls who were in turn, cared for by a group of middle-aged Korean men. Hmmmmm. I must have witnessed a slice of the growing trend of Korean men needing to look to impoverished nations for young subservient stay-at-home slavebrides. Korean women have watched far too much 'Sex & the City' to be chained to the kitchen anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment