Sunday 31 January 2010

Good old Haenyo






These old lady divers are hardcore! The water is none too warm right now, but these 4-foot tall dolphins are in the water every day, all day long. Like the endangered Spoonbills I saw this weekend, I fear that in 20 years no more iconic haenyo will grace Jeju Island. Most haenyo are 60+, and there isn't exactly a flood of new recruits these days. I heard they opened a 'haenyo school' a few months back to boost their numbers, but I'm not sure how that went. See them now! Incidentally, a haenyo was attacked by a great white shark in 2005. In the shark's defense, I guess they do bear a passing resemblance to seals.
Personally, I plan on waiting until April before I hit the water, even in a wetsuit. Coabin and I are getting matching underwater cameras to go with our matching fish field guides. Fishwatching!
January flew by, thanks to fast days and fast weeks.
I plan on having a dry February, too many shenanigans lately.

No comments:

Post a Comment