Sunday 3 January 2010

Panic on the streets of Seoul


Panic on the streets of Birmingham. Seoul ain't too much to look at, in my opinion. U-G-L-Y. Oh well, it looks nice in the TV commercials. 'Seoul, Soul of Asia'. Almost as cringe-worthy as 'Korea Sparkling', har har. Took a cab to Ilsan from Gimpo airport (still one of my least favorite airports), cuz that's how I roll. While tyrann-E-saurus and B-dawgs went to the US Army base in Itaewon to procure black-market turkey and fixins, I hoofed it to Lake Park and Jeongbalsan, my old Ilsan birdwatching haunts (they were right where I left them). I found some Korean birdwatchers shitting the bed over a Varied Tit, and then I realized there they were photographers, not birders. Big difference. Lake Park sure isn't Jeju, but I used to pace her artificial shores often. My secret spot on the side of Jeongbalsan's slopes was quieter, and it was there where I broke my pants, climbing over a poorly-placed razor-wire fence. Ouch, I only had 2 pairs of viable pants, so this malfunction was a substantial blow to my wardrobe. The water-vomiting dragon was as refreshing as ever, but the birds weren't out, the selfish little bastards. Ilsan sparkling. Ilsan is an urban planner's wet-dream, so well-laid out, but still a bit short on soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment