Friday 29 January 2010

Fake Kentucky teardrop


Here she is. I saw the same mandolin sitting in a dusty corner of the one small music store in town (not counting the one in Home Plus) exactly one year ago. It hadn't moved, as there isn't a big community of mandolin players in Seogwipo. So I go in and ask the dude if I can have a look at it. He tells me the price, but says I can't touch it. Incredulous, I ask him how he expects me to buy it without touching it. I bitched him out and told him he was a simpleton, and ordered him to get it down and unwrap it. There were generations of actual spiders and spider webs set up amongst the tuning pegs. Long story short, I got him to come down on price and throw in a case and strings by telling him I'd just get one off the net for way cheaper if was going to be a wanker about it. He was probably sick of looking at the damn thing. I asked him how long it had been there, and he admitted "Since 1991." Cleaned and tightened her up, and played it 'til my fingers bled, it was the winter of '10. I can only hope my incessant plinky-plunky bothers my neighbor, who apparently does nothing but smoke cigarettes 24 hours a day. Oh, I'm never taking the Christmas tree down.

No comments:

Post a Comment