Wednesday 15 December 2010

SPAM = Comfort food?

"Serves 1...tragic bachelor."

YO!
FOR YOUR SMILE
It is for older Koreans.  I guess it was the only meat they could get during and probably after the war, so it holds a place in older K-hearts.  I've only eaten SPAM once in my life.  Well, to be fair, it wasn't SPAM, it was KAM, a knockoff.  I ate it in Holland at the age of 19, and it gave me brown-laser-beam-itis.  I think the guy in the campground stall next to mine also ate the KAM, judging from the repeated 'splash-unroll-wince' sound effects I heard on that awful day.
  But yeah, those wacky Koreans go apeshit for the cubed meat biproduct, and during the holidays you can find massive SPAM gift-sets everywhere.  More class.  It's all elbows and armpits.
  I should talk though, because for an unknown reason, I came home today and discovered that I had purchased 2 jazzy little 'SPAM singles'.  Is this rock bottom?  I may or may not eat them, but I'm not sure how.  There are all kinds of awkward and disconcerting slogans on the packaging, like 'For your smile.', 'It's so quick and easy!  Just rip your way to SPAM taste!', and on the back 'A solid line would say "No!  Do not cross!"  But this one is dotted.  Feel free to enter.'  My favorite just says 'YO!'

No comments:

Post a Comment