Monday 8 March 2010

WE ARE JEJU!! (again)






Wow. March 15th 2009 (the date of last year's Jeju United home opener) truly seems like yesterday. It's creepy. This time 'round there was noticeably less naivete, folks, zing, zow, and oomph. And it was colder. And it wasn't free. And I was ripped off on the tickets. I think 2 solid weeks of rain and drear is getting to everyone. The game was against Jeonbuk, and ended in a respectable 2-2 draw. After the game I was forcefully interviewed by a local TV station. "We're gonna interview you, you've got the shirt and scarf on and you're foreign, and here's what the first 2 questions are gonna be, and here's what your answers are gonna be, then you're gonna sing the Jeju chant". After the rapid-fire interview, he told me I had to do it again, but do the chant for longer and with more energy this time. It definitely felt like a "Lost in Translation" moment. Later on a few of us met the new coach Park Kyung Hoon, and shook his hand and stuff. He's some former national player and big news. I am weary. The moths.

No comments:

Post a Comment