Sunday 18 January 2009

Halla Hit






Had I hiked Halla San with my co-workers on Saturday as originally planned, we might have had some great views, as it was warm and sunny. I'm glad we went today, as there was thick creepy fog shrouding the whole mountain, making everything feel Tim Burtony. Was a great day of climbing, but I'm gonna feel it tomorrow. There was an insanely gorgeous temple near the trail head. The crampons and MEN'S TIGHT'S were essential purchases, as it was pretty slick and wet. I faced the strongest winds I've ever encountered in my life just below the top (of this particular trail, not the mountain itself - we opted not to 'summit'). The wind was so strong that as it passed across my nostrils, I could actually feel it sucking the air out of my lungs. I love wind, so good times. The reward at the top? Hellish. A shack jam-packed with 100 folks eating ramyan. The place had a micro-climate going on - today's weather called for partial cloudiness, with a 100% chance of soju rain dripping from the ceiling. Charming. Thankfully we didn't stay long. There was at least 5 feet of compacted snow on the trail in some points, and I found myself up to my hips into mini-crevasses a couple of times when I strayed off the trail. I'm gonna try to download and watch 'Touching the Void' again tonight. Great mountain climbing movie. I'm the best at fake action poses. That's the 'Zissou'.

No comments:

Post a Comment