Wednesday 14 January 2009

Upgrade my well-being


I haven't been 100% since arriving on Jeju. My jetlag took forever to fade, and I got a cold on my first day. Korean colds are notable in that their symptoms don't manifest themselves in any logical order, like a proper cold should. It's sore throat one day, morning loogies the next, back to sore throat for a few days for good measure, a day or two of leprosy, and finish things off with a nice round of fever, paleness, and blotchiness.
The next blow to my well-being (ahhh, the sacred and elusive well-being) came when I wore my new shoes to and from work. They felt fine when I tried them on in the store back in the non-island world, but by the time I got back to my hovel, I was limping almost as bad as the time I stepped on an upright screw wearing Vans. My heels were a bloody mess, as is evidenced by my left Converse the next day.
The cornflakes on the salad came this Monday, when I awoke to find that I had a Gobstopper-sized super zit where nose meets face. A zit? What is this, Degrassi? It should be illegal for one person to be afflicted with the disfigurements of both teen years and middle age at the same time. I'm balding, but I have zits. What's next, diaper rash and arthritis?

No comments:

Post a Comment