Monday 19 January 2009

My new favorite places






Are all within a 5-20 minute walk of my pad. The first is the rocks in the harbor. I get a kick out of sitting on the rocks, and staring into the sea, reflecting on the malaise of modernity. Uhhhh, if I'm honest, I guess I just sit there and zone out.
That UFO on the horizon is the KAL hotel, an eerie spot if there ever was one. I've heard it's shut, but you can slip onto the grounds through a sort of hole in the fence at the end of an orange orchard. Even though (/if) it's shut, they can't seem to let it go, because the gardening is still done, and there's soothing elevator music being piped into the outdoors via mushroom-shaped speakers. The hotel itself could be a beached cruise ship from the 70's that's been awkwardly re-painted by vikings using their hands. The archers are 'round the next headland.
My other new favorite place is a 'Resting Place' built around a small river. It's a park, but I prefer the official name. I've yet to see anyone else there for some reason. One branch of the river turns into a creepy (everything is creepy) dry river bed that's filled with fetid pools and upended traffic cones. Plenty of good birding there.

No comments:

Post a Comment